You think your life is fucked up? Try living a piece of mine.



How to Behave...


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Image hosted by Photobucket.com
If there's anyone who's a strong critic of others who fail to display proper manners and sometimes even etiquette (proper English is a whole different story), it's This Man. I guess I should explain what I mean so as not to be confused with Miss Manners or any of those old generation matrons of proper etiquette. You see, This Man is a strong believer that manners and respect will take you a long way. So to the best of my ability, I always try to be respectful of others--even when the situation calls for otherwise (and sure there was the time, when rather than to tell WX that I was not having a good time out with him, I ditched him without so much as a goodbye, but that's neither here nor there).
But Sunday evening, while at Border's bookstore with my son, D and L, This Man came across the best book with rules so simple that, even though it is a childrens' book, the rules can and should be applied to adults as well. The book was titled How to Behave and Why by Munro Lewis. The book, originally published in 1946, is proof positive that there are some things that adults and children should both learn and apply to daily life.
On the inside flap is the following quotation;
"No matter where you are or who you are, there are four main things that you have to do if you want to make good friends and keep them.
  • You have to be HONEST
  • You have to be STRONG
  • You have to be FAIR
  • and you have to be WISE
And there is no good in trying to fool yourself. All that isn't so easy. "
This Man was so overcome by the simplicity of the book and its teachings that, I didn't buy the book then, but instead went on ebay and purchased it. I was originally going to give the book to my son, but I think I'll keep the book for myself.
Just in case I suddenly forget those 4 rules of being a better person.

Mahalo


3 Responses to “How to Behave...”

  1. Blogger ........ 

    Heath -

    Great blog! Enjoyed your perspective, from one sailor to another, and maybe I missed it but what ship you on? Take care, man!

    DB
    aka, the other half of Day Dreamer

  2. Blogger THATGUY_HEATH 

    Thanks for reading the blog, man. Because I'm out and often make reference to my warship in my writing, I take extra strides to never, ever mention the name or take any pictures that will identify which Arleigh Burke class guided-missile destroyer I'm stationed on. However, email me at my personal addy and I'll let you know that way.

  3. Blogger Tuna Girl 

    Ooh. I really like that. Even when they were babies, we taught our kids manners. We call them "habits of the heart."

    Those four main things are especially poignant to me right now.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm THATGUY_HEATH
  • From San Diego, California, United States
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Check these blogs out


ATOM 0.3